Pink October and Breast Cancer Awareness 2021admin
Through out Pillar Center’s quest for crisis management, we have collected a number of facts and information about the breast cancer for awareness-raising in the Pink October.
Facts about Breast Cancer:
- Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer with more than 2.2 million cases in 2020.
- About 1 in 12 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. Breast cancer is the number one cause of cancer death among women, with approximately 685,000 death cases among women, in 2020.
- Most cases and deaths from breast cancer occur in low- and middle-income countries.
- There are significant differences between high-income and low- and middle-income countries, with the 5-year survival rate after breast cancer exceeding 90% in high-income countries, while it does not exceed 66% in India and 40% in South Africa.
- The highest age-standardized mortality rates from breast cancer occur in Africa and Polynesia. Half of all breast cancer deaths occur among women under the age of 50 in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Great progress has been made in the treatment of breast cancer since 1980; The age-standardized mortality rate from breast cancer declined by 40% between the 1980s and 2020 in high-income countries. Similar improvement is still to be seen in low- and middle-income countries.
- Improved outcomes are the result of a combination of early detection and effective treatment using a combination of surgery, radiotherapy and medical treatments.
Leave a Reply